Mgr Hartsville PowerMgr Hartsville PowerTracking Code20120058Job Description
Founded in 1899 on the belief that "People Build Businesses," Sonoco is a $4.1 billion global manufacturer of consumer and industrial packaging products and provider of packaging services. With more than 300 operations worldwide and an employee-focused value system and culture, we believe in building from within, encourage employees to take ownership of their careers and give them the tools and opportunities to help them reach their full potential. We offer world-class benefits, value people and teamwork, celebrate challenges, reward success, are committed to employee satisfaction and work/life balance, and are recognized worldwide for our commitment to growing future leaders
Sonoco is looking for a Manager of the Hartsville, SC Power Plant. Under general direction of the Manager - Power and Maintenance, the successful candidate is responsible for management and safe efficient operation of two power plants, including steam and electric distribution. This responsibility affects the safety o f all Hartsville employees and the productivity of all Hartsville operations, through providing safe, dependable and economical steam and electrical power.
* Responsible for personal commitment to safety and housekeeping and for directing the training of each employee under his direct supervision, which will reflect this commitment, and foster individual's safety awareness, working toward an injury-free environment.
* Delegate responsibility and authority in order to permit subordinates to develop maximum effectiveness and assume greater responsibility through principles and precepts of TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT.
* Position requires stringent cost control measures to maintain compliance with budget and service cost per production unit. Measurements will be established and progress tracked against approved benchmarks for overtime, total cost and cost per unit production where applicable, to assure cost effective service operations.
* Ensures compliance with safety procedures in the use of highly flammable and toxic materials.
* Supervises efficient operation of two power plants, through three Shift Foremen and one Maintenance Supervisor. Personally responsible for support services, directly supervising Laboratory Technicians, Electrician, Relief Operator and Coal Handlers.
* Responsible for testing and operation within EPA and SCDHEC Regulations of Air Emissions and Effluent Discharge within.
* Spends considerable time in determining and recommending equipment, fuel mixes, and personnel programs which will minimize costs and maximize efficiency.
* Determines and recommends to Purchasing Department amount and composition of fuel to be purchased each month as required, i.e., coal, fuel oil, gas and electric power.
* Checks daily on plant operation, efficiencies, maintenance, and distribution of steam and electricity to production departments.
* Responsible for annual operating budget and allocations, based on production forecasts.
* Prepares annual budget for capital expenditures necessary to keep equipment in top condition and to provide items needed for future growth and expansion.
* Assures uniform application and interpretation of policies and programs for personnel relations and continuous evaluation of this area as well as potential employee relations and continuous evaluation of this area as well as potential employee relations problems, safety, morale, etc.
* Develops and keeps current, Standard Operation Procedure Manual which covers specific departmental policies not included in Corporate Policy Manual.
* Cooperates with insurance carrier in planning and making annual inspections of all insure equipment in Power Department, i.e., boilers pressure vessels, turbines, fans, motors, etc.
* Prepares power forecast, operation cost forecast and production requirements based on anticipated activity indicated by short and long term sales forecast.
* Monitors operating schedule and employee work schedule as pertains to the 192 hour rule and to operator progression training.
* Consults on occasion with branch plant personnel on power problems.
* Maintains an inventory of certain critical spare parts.
* Works closely with Engineering and consultants on power problems, expansion, etc.
* Performs other related assignments as LocationHartsville, South Carolina, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular
USA Paper Division