Model Maker 1- CNC SpecialistTitle: Model Maker 1- CNC Specialist
Location: United States-Michigan-Holland
Other Locations: nullGeneral Purpose:
Perform the building of prototypes, models and mock-ups to a degree of completion required by Design/Development teams for proper evaluation and/or presentation. Working from sketches, layout drawings, completed detailed drawings, CAD data as available, all in accordance with a predetermined schedule and/or priorities.
* Develop and/or build models, prototypes and mock-ups in the most feasible way, per customer requirements, goals and objectives.
* Design and build fixtures or molds as needed to aid in the building of models and prototypes.
* Recommend and assist in the determination of materials, method, procedure and technology to be used building models and prototypes.
* Assist in the development and training of Model Maker Apprentice.
* Be attentive of new modeling techniques, materials, processes and technology.
* Support Senior Model Maker with cost and timing estimations as required.
* Collaborate on product design solutions with Design/Development to influence feasibility of production or prototype runs.
* Take strong ownership in projects; provide vital feedback to customers on projects completed.
* Perform additional requirements as operations may require in support of achieving business objectives.
* Utilizing CNC equipment, perform the building of prototypes, models and mock-ups to a degree of completion required by Design/Development teams for proper evaluation and/or elop and/or build models, prototypes and mock-ups utilizing CNC milling machines, (programming setup and operating).
* Lead Model Maker in CNC programming, milling operations in HMI Modelshop. Keeping up with latest technology in a continuous improvement operation.
* Machining of aluminum, tooling board, all plastics utilized in prototype building, per 2D or complex 3D part imum Requirements:
* Bachelor degree in Model Making or a Journeyman Design Model Maker or equivalent.
* Four years experience in a Design/Development Model Shop.
* Possess good competence and creative skills.
* Understanding and experience working with a variety of materials such as clay, wood, metal, sheet metal, plastics, epoxies, urethanes and metal castings.
* Familiarity with Industrial Design concepts and processes.
* Basic understanding of manufacturing processes, related to wood, metal forming and plastic.
* Ability to utilize all of the model shop''s equipment and processes.
* Well developed conceptual, analytical and communication skills.
* Familiarity of the Rapid-Prototyping and Rapid-Tooling industry and processes.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively use office automation/communication software and tools currently being used in the HMI office environment; basic knowledge of Product View and Solid View.
* Basic understanding of the modeling technologies and equipment used in CAD/CAM, Product Visualization, and FEA.
* Ability to make sound decisions without all relevant data present.
* Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
* Ability to solve problems with the sense of urgency in a fast paced environment.
* Self-starter, reliable, motivated in ones work, with a strong ability to work in a team environment.
* Must be able to perform all essential functions of the position with or without accommodations.
* 3 or more years. recent experience programming, set up and operating CNC machines in prototype, Model Shop environment.
* 3 or more years. recent programming experience with Work NC or Surfcam software.
* Pro-E experience a plus.
Herman Miller is commited to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer.