Design EngineerDesign Engineer
Sonoco, a leading manufacturer of a variety of highly engineered packaging solutions and specialty components, has the followingDesign Engineerposition available in Protective Solutions, Arlington Heights, IL. facility. Sonoco Protective Solutions creates value through knowledge of the needs of consumers and customers, its regional presence and efficient production. We are proud of our initiative and our corporate culture and search for individuals who embody great skill and initiative of their own.
The successful candidate will provide design assistance for moderately complex engineering assignments including products, parts, components, or portions of major projects. Complete work according to standard engineering principles and practices. May perform research to solve specific design problems.
* Work closely with sales staff to design and develop packaging solutions to meet requirements.
* Calculate costs for manufacturing designs.
* Create prototypes and CAD drawings of new package designs.
* Communicate with existing customers, provide information on new products, resolve problems, etc.
* Coordinates the transfer of customer product CAD drawings when available.
* Initiates communication with manufacturing to ensure that designs can be manufactured.
* Assists manufacturing with assembly questions.
* Communicates with customers to get information and provide feedback on design.
* Creates prototype drawing specifications using CAD for customer approval, external testing and tooling requirements.
* Records all sample and production drawings and keeps them up to date.
* Oversee and manage projects, samples, pricing and quality reports.
* Work with other departments to communicate about customer needs, product ideas, etc.
* Produce associated drawings and instructions.
* Perform engineering duties that require exercise of judgment and application of standard engineering principles and practices.
* Work from instructions, drawings, proposals, specifications and other important information.
* Prepare specifications and documents in accordance with requirements.
* Establish formats and instructions.
* Investigate technical problems and establish procedures and corrective actions to avoid recurrences.
* Maintain up-to-date working knowledge of industry and trade trends/developments.
* Produces production and engineering change request specifications.
* Other related duties as assigned.
* BS degree in a technical, business or a related field.
* Good organization & attention to detail skills, required.
* Excellent computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access). Proficiency in application of CAD computer application programs and ability to use appropriate computer application programs.
* Ability to work in a heavily deadline oriented environment. Ability to work individually and a part of a team. Ability to identify, research, coordinate and resolve issues.
* Highly effective communication skills; ability to prepare oral and written reports.
* Strong interpersonal, analytical, organizational and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
* 4 to 6 years of related experience preferably in a manufacturing/sales environment.
* General packaging experience preferred.
Arlington Heights, Illinois, United States