At Schoolhouse Electric and Supply Co. (SECO) we’re designers, makers, and creative thinkers, and since 2003 we have handcrafted custom lighting and lifestyle products that transcend time and trend. Just as important as the products we make are the people we work with. They are at the heart of everything we do. We’re always looking for hard working, innovative people to join the Schoolhouse team
The primary responsibility of the Product Developer is to drive developments from inception to market. This position will work closely with Product Leadership, Creative Leadership, Product/Ops Engineering, Marketing, in-house Supply Chain/Manufacturing and outside vendors to ensure a smooth product development process. This person will bring a track record of success in managing complex product creation processes and vendor communications for multi-component product developments. They will also be responsible for ensuring product meets or exceeds pre-determined gross margin targets and other merchandising and business goals. This person should quickly develop a keen understanding of the SECO design point-of-view and translate that into successful, premium products.
- Manage and coordinate product development projects.
- Drive product ideas from design concept to finished product.
- Produce sketches, drawings, models and specifications for new products based on ongoing direction and feedback from Product and Creative Leadership.
- Develop and manage domestic and overseas partner and vendor relationships for samples, prototypes, materials and components.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of vendor capabilities.
- Negotiate costing for new products and components that meet margin targets.
- Partner with Ops (Purchasing, Engineering) to order and track samples and prototypes as well as production inventory.
- Participate in First Article Inspection and Pilot Run Inspection processes.
- Drive a disciplined product creation process by owning product documentation including preliminary drafts of Bills of Materials, costing worksheets and component and product status trackers.
- Manage calendars and timelines to ensure project updates are provided quickly and development milestones are reached on schedule.
- Manage product assortment, margin, and order spreadsheets on a daily basis.
- Organize samples and prototypes for product reviews, presentations and hand-offs.
- Ensure that labeling and marketing/promotional collateral match product specifications.
- Research customer base, competitive landscape and industry developments and identify potential new product opportunities.
- Work with other departments to establish a design, technology, product development and vendor strategy.
- Secondary Functions:
- Special projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Strong understanding of construction techniques (including woodworking and metalworking) as well as technologies and materials common to home goods.
- Experience with complex multi-component product developments. Lighting, furniture, bedding, tabletop and general home accessories experience a plus.
- Basic power and hand tools experience for model-making and prototype-building.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment and communicate cross-functionally with all levels of the organization.
- Project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Technical writing experience a plus.
- Self-motivated and nimble with a strong sense of urgency.
- Impeccably organized and detail oriented.
- Drawing skills including quick, iterative sketching and detailed technical drawing.
- Proficient in Illustrator, Excel, and Outlook. SolidWork 3-D Software a plus.
- Periodic travel expected.
- 1-3 years of product development role in a similar company.
- Bachelors degree in related field.
- Office environment with frequent computer usage.
- Ability to walk up and down stairs between floors.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to climb and balance atop a ladder.
To apply for this position please visit our careers page at: ~~~
Please submit a PDF of or a link to your portfolio when applying.